Friday, January 19, 2007

Removing the rubrail





Before I install the stringers I wanted to separate the deck from the hull. The reason is because, before I glass in the stringers I will be adding more glass to the bottom of the hull to beef up the hull. In 1968 they did not put a lot of glass in the boats. Also I will be vacuuming bagging 3/8" coosa board panels to the sides of the free wall of the boat. So I need the deck off to give me plenty of room to work. Plus I plan on working on the deck when I'M done with the hull. Having it off will make so much easier. In these pictures show the beginning of the removal of the rub rail. The rub rail was custom made out of teak and had a stainless steel band screwed to it for protection. Once the rub rail was off I had to remove the through bolts that clamped the deck to the hull. Then I took my razor knife to cut the silicon bead around the boat to free the deck lid from the hull. When it was completely cut I was ready to separate.

No comments: