Saturday, January 13, 2007

409cu.in 330 HP of BAD ASS







Here is another winter project. When I bought the boat the engine was a fresh new long block. Recently rebuilt by a machine shop in Hopewell Va. The engine is a 1972 Chevy 400 small block with 4 bolt main caps. The engine came out of an old school bus. The engine was bored 30 over and the crank is a brand new out the box steel crank. The heads are 350 heads that were drilled for the steam ports that are in the 400 block. It also has the original bow tie high rise intake manifold. It has the typical marine cam with a double roller timing gear set. So when I got the engine I bought and installed a new Holly 750 double pump 4 barrel manual choke carburetor. New manifolds and risers and a fresh water cooling system. New starter, wires, plugs, cap and rotor. New flywheel and fuel filter. When the shop built the engine they said it has at least 330hp maybe a tad more. I know when I had everything put together and started it up in my garage it sounded BAAD! In fact it sounded so bad my asshole neighbor called the police on me for disturbing the peace. I can't wait to put this motor in. With the hp and the weight of my boat and the out drive I have. This boat should do at least 60mph maybe 62mph. The out drive is a Volvo 290 DP. I wanted to add that when I took these pictures, the original carb was on it which had an electric choke. This engine replaces the original engine which was a Chevy 350 270hp. That's why you see the original carb cover with AQ271C.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i looked at your boat after you left dominion. that is a much larger prodgect that the boat i started. it looks very nice so far