Thursday, December 28, 2006

Teaking out


After I made my measurements and cut my teak, I laid it out to get the spacing I wanted. I used #10 screws for the space I wanted. My teak strips are 1 3/4" wide and 3/8" thick. I pre -clamped everything before I bonded everything for real. I used #10 sheet metal screws with 1/4" fender washers for my clamping means. When I was ready took everything apart and lightly sanded the panels with 60 grit sand paper. I then numbered each strip so I knew which one went where because I had to narrow some of the strips with my table saw so they would fit in space of the panel I was using. I then sanded the bottom sides of the teak strips with 60 grit and cleaned with acetone. I wetted the surface of the panels and the bottoms of the teak with epoxy and 206 hardener I then mixed epoxy with 404 filler with the consistency of mayonnaise and used a 1/8" notched spreader to spread the mixture on the panels. I then laid the teak in place and clamped the strips down using the screws and fender washers. The screws were coated in Pam cooking spray so the epoxy will not stick when it comes time to remove the screws and washers.

No comments: