Thursday, December 28, 2006

Hatch covers




After they cured I removed all screws and washers and started sanding with 60 grit. I had to take my dremal tool with a small grinding bit and clean out some of the gaps. Because some of the epoxy rose up to the surface when clamping pressure was applied. In the top picture notice the blue masking tape on the end. I did this because the grain on the end pieces are running east and west. And after they were sanded I taped them to protect them when I was sanding the grain that was running north and south. Because you never want to sand across the grain. After sanding with 60 grit to clean off the epoxy I took some black poly ether and filled in the gaps. I first started taking my time to try to stay neat and clean. But that wasn't working so I squeezed a big glob and worked it in with a metal putty knife. After that cured I sanded again with 60 grit and finished sanding with 80 grit and then 120 grit. I will later install some real nice stainless recessed hatch lifts and rub some teak oil on the panels to darken them up a little. Later when I install my teak decking and have all screws and bungs in I will add screws and bungs to the panels so they line up with the bungs on the deck.

No comments: