Thursday, December 28, 2006

Plastic



This is the other winter project I did in my small townhouse garage. These are my in the floor fish box hatch covers. They are made of polymer also known as starboard I call it plastic for short. These are old and faded but I can still use them for my idea. My boat is going to have a teak deck so I need to build hatch covers to match. These plastic panels will be the platform for my teak strips. First I removed the old hatch pulls then I sanded with 60 grit sand paper. I filled the holes used for the recessed hatch pulls with epoxy mixed with 404 filler with the consistency of peanut butter. I then coated the panels with two coats of epoxy with 206 hardener and let cure. I did this so whenI bond the teak to the panels the epoxy has a good base to bite into for good holding strength.

No comments: