Saturday, October 28, 2006

Transom X





After I completed the transom I took some 404 filler and epoxy and put a fillet on all the corners. You need to do this so when you lay the new glass it lays smoothly in the corners with no sharp angles. If you have sharp right angles you can get a void in your glass lay up. After the epoxy had cured I took some six inch bi-axle glass tape with stitch mat back and laid it up around the transom. I did this to tie in the transom with the sides and the bottom of the hull. Next I will glass in the whole transom with Fiberglas and this will complete the transom for now.

2 comments:

paul said...

Hey, I have a question about your project. However, can you give us your first name so we can properly address you?;) Back to my question, it appears that you have seperated the top of the boat from the bottom hull to apply the fiberglass matt on the transom. Is that correct? How do you do that? Is that bolted together? How far foreward do you have to seperate them in order to do so? By the way, in what part of the country do you live? I live in SE Michigan(north of Detroit), and am going to attend a class in Bay City that the Gougeon Brothers(guys who developed the West System line) are teaching on working with fiberglass. Thanks, Paul

wab said...

Thanks for the question Paul. My name Wade and yes I did seperate the deck from the hull. I first removed the rub rail and then all the through bolts that held the deck to the hull. Then I used some 2x4's some I-bolts some rope and two come-anongs and the roof main beam of building to lift the deck off my boat. I have the deck hanging about 3 feet above my boat. After I complete the hull I will load the hull back on my trailor and store it at another spot and then lower the deck lid down on work horses and finish it. I have all these pictures to still up load and you will see how I did this. I live in Fairfax Va.
I hope my boat project helps you with yours and thanks again for visiting my blog. Wade