Friday, October 20, 2006

Transom VI





In the first two pictures shows how I clamp the transom board to the boat. But this system wasn't enough so also coated some #10 by 3/4" screws and some fender washers with some Pam cooking spray and screwed several screws from the outside through the fiberglass skin into the transom board. I did this to make sure the fiberglass skin and the board had 100% contact. The pam is to keep the epoxy from sticking to the screws so when it is finished curing you can easily remove the screws. Afterwards I will go back and fill and fair the holes and when its painted you will never know. The next two pictures show the transom after it has cured and the clamping boards removed. After the boards were removed I took a small hammer and lightly tapped all over the transom from the outside. I did this to check to see if I had a good bond with the board and the fiberglass skin. I did find one spot the size of a 50 cent piece that had a void. I will go back later and drill a 3/16" hole and eject some thickened epoxy to fill the void. But all in all I was very pleased with the outcome. The last picture shows the hole cut out. I took some fiberglass cloth and some epoxy and sealed the exposed wood of the transom. After that cured I took my grinder and ground down the edges to make a smooth finish.

No comments: